Commission on Election (COMELEC) Commissioner Ma. Gracia Cielo "Grace" Magno Padaca visited Tupi, Friday afternoon, April 11, for a consultation with local officials and Tupi COMELEC, along with the presidents of senior citizen and person with disability here to ensure the support in the implementation of "biometrics" project for the 2016 polls.
Tupi Officials headed by Municipal Mayor Reynaldo S. Tamayo, Jr, Senior Citizen President and Head of Person With Disability warmly welcomed the visiting COMELEC Commissioner whose visit was focus on urging the support of all voting Tupinians for biometric registration in preparation for the 2016 election. The registration of voters will start on May 6 this year until October 31, 2015.
Biometrics refers to the registrant's picture, fingerprint, and signature recorded by a computer during the registration period. "Biometric data will be used to lessen if not eliminate multiple registrants from the final voter's list", Padaca said.
The former Isabela governor further warned everyone that registered voters without biometrics wouldn’t be able to vote in 2016.
Padaca also discussed the COMELEC's plan to put up a separate polling place for Person's with Disability (PWD) and Senior Citizen, apart from their regular voting precincts.
With this, PWD’s and Senior Citizens will now be given a choice which polling places are more convenient to them.
The Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) with the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP) and the Municipality of Tupi has signed a Memorandum of Agreement amounting to 1.2M PAMANA project for the identified four (4) barangays in the municipality, Friday morning, April 11 at Mayor's office here.
Gracing the signing ceremony were DAR representatives, Municipal Mayor Reynaldo S. Tamayo Jr. and Municipal Development and Planning Officer Julgen R. Dajay along with Chiefs of Brgys Bololmala, Cr. Rubber, Kalkam and Palian.
The barangay beneficiaries would be a recepient of the P300, 000 worth of project each. Projects identified for implementation are:
1. Barangay Bololmala
PCCP of 50m Road Section of Bololmala Bridge Approaching the ARCP Bridge
2. Barangay Cr. Rubber
Construction of Multi-Purpose Building
3. Barangay Kalkam
Construction of Multi-Purpose Building
4. Barangay Palian
Construction of Multi Purpose Building
According to Dajay, after the requirements have been fully complied, the downloading of funds would take place. Only 90% of the said P300,000 project will be downloaded to each barangay and the remaining 10% will be given after the project completion, Dajay said.
Local legislators here has finally passed and approved an ordinance setting the speed limit along the national highway here.
Municipal Ordinance No. 688, Series of 2014, the Sangguniang Bayan here set speed limit to all types of motorized vehicles passing through the national highway particularly from Crossing Polonuling to Crossing Cebuano, this municipality.
As observed, recorded traffic accidents largely caused by overspeeding and reckless driving in the past years alarmed the local legislative body here, which eventually led to the creation and passage of ‘Speed Limit Ordinance’ this year.
Based on the said municipal ordinance, the rate of speed for all types of motor vehicles in the Municipality of Tupi should not exceed the following:
Name of Highway
Crossing Polonuling to Crossing Acmonan
Crossing Acmonan to Crossing Cebuano
Accordingly, any person or persons violating the Speed Limit Ordinance will be fined as follows:
Php 2,000 or 30 days Imprisonment or Revocation of Drivers License or both Fine and Imprisonment at the discretion of the court
And to effectively implement the above cited sanctions, LGU-Tupi has already procured four (4) speed guns, and implementing agencies in the likes of Tupi Traffic Enforcers and Philippine National Police were done doing the ‘testing’ on how these specialized detectors work.
SB further directed the Traffic Enforcers group to provide the appropriate traffic signs indicating the speed limit in different areas of the national highway.
Other lead and support agencies include 27th Infantry Battalion and 72nd Infantry Battalion.