Home General Information About Tupi
ABOUT TUPI PDF Print E-mail

History

History of Tupi
The Municipality of Tupi in the past even during the Pre-Hispanic era was believed to be solely inhabited by B’laans and Moslems. The B’laan who composed the greater population occupied most of the area, while the Moslems occupied the areas along the rivers traversing the community.
During that time, Tupi used to be a wide area of tropical virgin forest with only a few patches of clearing where the inhabitants used to settle. Food was solely derived from the forests and rivers. No roads and permanent human settlement exists. The inhabitants during that time lived in  a nomadic way because food crops need not be grown and clean water is found  everywhere.
Sometime in 1939, the late Commonwealth President, Manuel Luis Quezon conceived the idea of developing the potential fertile area of Koronadal Valley and Allah Valley which gave birth to the creation of the National Land Settlement Administration (NLSA) under the Commonwealth Act No. 141. The late Major General Paulino Santos, known today as the foremost initiator of development in South Cotabato and Sarangani Province was commissioned as General Manager of the Settlement project which includes the Municipality of Tupi.
Settlement areas where then set up, giant forest trees were cut to give way for the residential areas and roads were built to connect neighboring areas. Settlers from Luzon and the Visayas were brought by boat to this Promise Land and were distributed to the various Settlement areas where they were allotted a home lot and farm lot to till and develop.
Basic services were initially provided. Schools were likewise built. Based on an interview from Brgy. Capt. Manuel Sunga, whose family were among the Pre-War Settlers, the first elementary School was located at the lot of a certain Mr. Roces located somewhere in Upper Tupi  in the left side of the present National Highway going to Gen. Santos, the principal of which was Mr. Posadas. During the war, an elementary school likewise exists at the present lot being occupied by the Alliance Church, with the late Agustin Ferrariz, as principal. During  the liberation, the Elementary School was located at the lower portion of the present Santos Hill Elementary School which was run by missionaries of the Alliance Church, the principal  of which was Mr. Madrea. The quest  for knowledge increased as the years goes by, which attributed to the creation of a secondary technical school in the Municipality, the Koronadal Valley Institute (KVI) which was later changed to Matutum View Institute (MVI). The principal of said school was Mr. Fernandez. Said secondary technical school commenced its operation in 1946. However with the coming in of newly opened secondary schools, MVI ceased its operation in 1951. The first private secondary schools in the Municipality of Tupi, the Gen. Paulino Santos Memorial Institute (GPSMI) was opened in 1952.
The firm determination of Gen. Paulino Santos coupled with his strict imposition of discipline among the settlers accredited to the fast pace of development in the settlement area. In  1941, when the Second Global war broke out, the ascending pace of development was hampered. In spite of the presence of the Japanese Imperial Army in the area, no major battle was recorded.
The predicament brought about  by the war did not necessarily impede the pursuance of the development of the Settlement districts. Years after the Liberation of the Philippine by the American Forces led by  Gen. Douglas Mac Arthur, settlers returned to the Settlement areas and resumed the development of the area.
Upon return to normalcy, the National Land Settlement Administration (NLSA) continued its usual function although its name was changed to Land Settlement and Development Corporation (LASEDCO), then to the National Resettlement Rehabilitation Administration (NARRA) and later to the Board of liquidators.
The Settlement Administration intensified its drive for the development  of all settlement districts. Koronadal districts which manifested a leading a pace I  development lead to its creation as a municipality by virtue of executive Order No. 82 dated August 12, 1947. Tupi which used to be a barangay of the Municipality of Koronadal likewise  gained momentum thus six year after the  creation of Koronadal, Tupi become an independent municipality  by virtue of Executive Order No. 612 by the late President Elpidio Quirino dated September 11, 1953. On October 2 of the same year, the first set of appointed Municipal officials were sworn into office. Henceforth, the latter date had been commemorated as the foundation day of the municipality . The municipality then started  to function as a fifth class municipality.
Efforts were exerted by the first and succeeding municipal  officials to effect the growth and development of the municipality. Through the combined efforts of the past stewards of this municipality and with the additional sources of income paralleled by program and projects in social, cultural, educational and economic aspects Tupi was reclassified as a second class municipality on July 1, 1982. To date, however with the revision of local government unit income classification, the Municipality was classified as a Fourth Class Municipality.
Tupi, since its creation experienced a generally peaceful situation except for some minor clashes  brought about by ethnic differences in the late fifties and early sixties. Only one major disturbance was experienced by the municipality in late 1974 which involves  the armed Moslem separatists and the Armed Forces of  the Philippines. However, the situation did not significantly affect the developmental thrusts of  the LGU. In the same did not prosper, a position which signify that the general populace of the municipality are contented and peace-loving people, a situation which is  a deterrent to the insurgency movements.
The Municipality of Tupi used to include : Tampakan in the northeast, Barangay Palkan of Polomolok in the South, part of Marbel 8 in Koronadal in the north and Barangay Lambangan of T’boli in the Southwest. However, with the creation of the  Municipality of Tampakan in June 21, 1969 under R.A 5661, and the definition of political boundaries among adjacent municipalities aforesaid areas were separated from Tupi.
According to famous legend  which transferred from generation to generation, Tupi got its name from a beetle  leaf which the natives used to chew. They call the leaf “tufi”. Said leaf can be found near cool springs which abounds in the area. According to the legend, a stranger happened to pass by the spring where the natives happened to be chewing “tufi”. The stranger asked the natives what the name of the place and the latter thinking  they were being  asked what they were chewing answered “tufi”, The stranger fulfilled about the answer left and become the forerunner of spreading the name “tufi”, which later on, with unknown reason became TUPI. According to the first batch of settlers of the late 1930s, “before we came as settlers, Tupi already existed.

History of Tupi

 

The Municipality of Tupi in the past even during the Pre-Hispanic era was believed to be solely inhabited by B’laans and Moslems. The B’laan who composed the greater population occupied most of the area, while the Moslems occupied the areas along the rivers traversing the community.

 

During that time, Tupi used to be a wide area of tropical virgin forest with only a few patches of clearing where the inhabitants used to settle. Food was solely derived from the forests and rivers. No roads and permanent human settlement exists. The inhabitants during that time lived in  a nomadic way because food crops need not be grown and clean water is found  everywhere.

 

Sometime in 1939, the late Commonwealth President, Manuel Luis Quezon conceived the idea of developing the potential fertile area of Koronadal Valley and Allah Valley which gave birth to the creation of the National Land Settlement Administration (NLSA) under the Commonwealth Act No. 141. The late Major General Paulino Santos, known today as the foremost initiator of development in South Cotabato and Sarangani Province was commissioned as General Manager of the Settlement project which includes the Municipality of Tupi.

 

Settlement areas where then set up, giant forest trees were cut to give way for the residential areas and roads were built to connect neighboring areas. Settlers from Luzon and the Visayas were brought by boat to this Promise Land and were distributed to the various Settlement areas where they were allotted a home lot and farm lot to till and develop.

 

Basic services were initially provided. Schools were likewise built. Based on an interview from Brgy. Capt. Manuel Sunga, whose family were among the Pre-War Settlers, the first elementary School was located at the lot of a certain Mr. Roces located somewhere in Upper Tupi  in the left side of the present National Highway going to Gen. Santos, the principal of which was Mr. Posadas. During the war, an elementary school likewise exists at the present lot being occupied by the Alliance Church, with the late Agustin Ferrariz, as principal. During  the liberation, the Elementary School was located at the lower portion of the present Santos Hill Elementary School which was run by missionaries of the Alliance Church, the principal  of which was Mr. Madrea. The quest  for knowledge increased as the years goes by, which attributed to the creation of a secondary technical school in the Municipality, the Koronadal Valley Institute (KVI) which was later changed to Matutum View Institute (MVI). The principal of said school was Mr. Fernandez. Said secondary technical school commenced its operation in 1946. However with the coming in of newly opened secondary schools, MVI ceased its operation in 1951. The first private secondary schools in the Municipality of Tupi, the Gen. Paulino Santos Memorial Institute (GPSMI) was opened in 1952.

 

The firm determination of Gen. Paulino Santos coupled with his strict imposition of discipline among the settlers accredited to the fast pace of development in the settlement area. In  1941, when the Second Global war broke out, the ascending pace of development was hampered. In spite of the presence of the Japanese Imperial Army in the area, no major battle was recorded.

 

The predicament brought about  by the war did not necessarily impede the pursuance of the development of the Settlement districts. Years after the Liberation of the Philippine by the American Forces led by  Gen. Douglas Mac Arthur, settlers returned to the Settlement areas and resumed the development of the area.

 

Upon return to normalcy, the National Land Settlement Administration (NLSA) continued its usual function although its name was changed to Land Settlement and Development Corporation (LASEDCO), then to the National Resettlement Rehabilitation Administration (NARRA) and later to the Board of liquidators.

 

The Settlement Administration intensified its drive for the development  of all settlement districts. Koronadal districts which manifested a leading a pace I  development lead to its creation as a municipality by virtue of executive Order No. 82 dated August 12, 1947. Tupi which used to be a barangay of the Municipality of Koronadal likewise  gained momentum thus six year after the  creation of Koronadal, Tupi become an independent municipality  by virtue of Executive Order No. 612 by the late President Elpidio Quirino dated September 11, 1953. On October 2 of the same year, the first set of appointed Municipal officials were sworn into office. Henceforth, the latter date had been commemorated as the foundation day of the municipality . The municipality then started  to function as a fifth class municipality.

 

Efforts were exerted by the first and succeeding municipal  officials to effect the growth and development of the municipality. Through the combined efforts of the past stewards of this municipality and with the additional sources of income paralleled by program and projects in social, cultural, educational and economic aspects Tupi was reclassified as a second class municipality on July 1, 1982. To date, however with the revision of local government unit income classification, the Municipality was classified as a Fourth Class Municipality.

 

Tupi, since its creation experienced a generally peaceful situation except for some minor clashes  brought about by ethnic differences in the late fifties and early sixties. Only one major disturbance was experienced by the municipality in late 1974 which involves  the armed Moslem separatists and the Armed Forces of  the Philippines. However, the situation did not significantly affect the developmental thrusts of  the LGU. In the same did not prosper, a position which signify that the general populace of the municipality are contented and peace-loving people, a situation which is  a deterrent to the insurgency movements.

 

The Municipality of Tupi used to include : Tampakan in the northeast, Barangay Palkan of Polomolok in the South, part of Marbel 8 in Koronadal in the north and Barangay Lambangan of T’boli in the Southwest. However, with the creation of the  Municipality of Tampakan in June 21, 1969 under R.A 5661, and the definition of political boundaries among adjacent municipalities aforesaid areas were separated from Tupi.

 

According to famous legend  which transferred from generation to generation, Tupi got its name from a beetle  leaf which the natives used to chew. They call the leaf “tufi”. Said leaf can be found near cool springs which abounds in the area. According to the legend, a stranger happened to pass by the spring where the natives happened to be chewing “tufi”. The stranger asked the natives what the name of the place and the latter thinking  they were being  asked what they were chewing answered “tufi”, The stranger fulfilled about the answer left and become the forerunner of spreading the name “tufi”, which later on, with unknown reason became TUPI. According to the first batch of settlers of the late 1930s, “before we came as settlers, Tupi already existed.

Vision

VISION


TUPI ENVISIONS A GOD-CENTERED, EMPOWERED SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITY LIVING HARMONIOUSLY IN A SOUND ENVIRONMENT AND A DYNAMIC LOCAL GOVERNANCE.

Mission

OUR MISSION


IT IS A MISSION OF THE LGU TO ENSURE THE RESPONSIVE DELIVERY OF BASIC SERVICES:

1. Uplift standard of living of the indigents /disadvantaged through promotion of job
opportunities;

2. Preservation and enhancement of local culture and arts;

3. Establish linkages with POs, NGOs, and CSOs;

4. Advocate Sustainable Agriculture and Biodynamic Farming;

5. Serve and protect the interest of the community in accordance with the laws, rules,
and regulations promulgated by proper authorities;

6. Sustain cost-effective health services where stakeholders work together in serving
the community;

7. Replicate and sustain community-based watershed areas and Solid Waste Management;
and

8. Promote potential Eco-Agro Tourism.

Profile

Profile - Municipality of Tupi


TUPI IN BRIEF...

Tupi is used to be a Barangay of the municipality of Koronadal (now city of Koronadal), occupied with immigrants from Luzon and the Visayas. Its human civilization in the past even during Pre-Hispanic era has already existed with Moslem and B'laan inhabitants practicing nomadic way of life.

The name Tupi is believed to have originated from the beetle leaf "tufi" chewed by the natives. "Tufi" abounds in the cool spring areas. Once a visitor passed by and asked the natives the name of the place, the native answered "tufi" thinking they were asked what they were chewing. Later "tufi" of unknown reason became Tupi.

After long years of tilling the fertile soil and developing resources through industry and ingenuity, Tupi blossomed into a community capable of Local Governance.

It was on September 11, 1953 when then President Elpidio Quirino issued Executive Order 612 creating Tupi as municipality. It has 15 barangays with Poblacion as the urban center and the seat of local government.

Today, Tupi is known as the "Fruit, Flower and Vegetable basket of South Cotabato. Blessed with cool climate and fertile soil-here you can find the ocean of flowers, abundant supply of fruits and vegetables - all year around.

Tupi emerges as profound land of investment its friendly and hardworking people and rich natural resources offer countless opportunities, its agricultural growth and potentials are waiting to be rediscovered and re-explored.

TOTAL INCOME - Php 88,290,133.31
POPULATION    - 58,403
DENSITY          - 187 Persons/sq.km.
DISTANCE FROM: KORONADAL CITY: 24 km
DISTANCE FROM: GENERAL SANTOS CITY: 37 km

MAJOR DIALECTS SPOKEN: Hiligaynon, Cebuano, B'laan. Other dialects spoken are Tagalog, Maguindanaoan, Aklanon, Capampangan and Ilokano.

BARANGAYS: (15) Acmonan, Bololmala, Bunao, Cebuano, Cr. Rubber, Kalkam, Kablon, Linan, Lunen, Miasong, Palian, Poblacion, Polonuling, Simbo and Tubeng.



MAJOR CROPS: Coconut, Corn, Rice, Pineapple, Fruits and Vegetables, Fruits grown in the area are Lanzones, Durian, Rambutan, Banana, Papaya and Mango.

GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION: Tupi is located at the northeastern part of South Cotabato. It is about 180 km from Davao City.

COMMUNICATIONS: A network of two-way communication system composing of one radio base and several handheld radios, Public Calling Office, SMART, GLOBE, 2 Cable Operators, Tupi Post Office and Private Letter Carrier.

 

Socio Economic

 

SOCIO-ECONOMIC PROFILE

TUPI, SOUTH COTABATO

 

 

I       BACKGROUND

A.      HISTORICAL

 

The Municipality of Tupi in the past even during the Pre-Hispanic era was believed to be solely inhabited by B’laans and Moslems.  The B’laan who composed the greater population occupied most of the area, while the Moslems occupied the areas along the rivers traversing the community.

During that time, Tupi used to be a wide area of tropical virgin forests with only a few patches of clearing where the inhabitants used to settle.  Food was solely derived from the forests and rivers.  No roads and permanent human settlement exists.  The inhabitants during that time  lived in a nomadic way because food crops need not be grown and clean water is found everywhere.

Sometime in 1939, the late Commonwealth President, Manuel Luis Quezon conceived the idea of developing the potential and fertile area of Koronadal Valley and Allah Valley which gave birth to the creation of the National Land Settlement Administration (NLSA) under Commonwealth Act. No. 141.  The late Major General Paulino Santos, known today as the foremost initiator of development in South Cotabato and Sarangani Provinces was commissioned as General Manager of the Settlement project which includes the Municipality of Tupi.

Settlement areas were then set up, giant forest trees were cut to give way for the residential areas and roads were built to connect neighboring areas. Settlers from Luzon and the Visayas were brought by boat to this Promised Land and were distributed to the various Settlement areas where they were allotted a home lot and farm lot to till and develop.

Basic services were initially provided. Schools were likewise built.  Based on an interview from Brgy. Capt. Manuel Sunga, whose family were among the Pre-War Settlers, the first Elementary School was located at the lot of a certain Mr. Roces located somewhere in Upper Tupi in the left side of the present National Highway going to Gen. Santos, the principal of which was Mr. Posadas.  During the War, an elementary school likewise exists at the present lot being occupied by the Alliance Church, with the late Agustin Ferrariz, as principal.  During the liberation, the Elementary School was located at the lower portion of the present Santos Hill Elementary School which was run by missionaries of the Alliance Church, the principal of which was Mr. Madrea.  The quest for knowledge increased as the years go by, which attributed to the creation of a secondary technical school in the Municipality, the Koronadal Valley Institute (KVI) which was later changed to Matutum View Institute (MVI).  The principal of said school was Mr. Fernandez.  Said secondary technical school commenced its operation in 1946.  However with the coming in of newly opened secondary schools, MVI ceased its operation in 1951.  The first private secondary school in the Municipality of Tupi, the Gen. Paulino Santos Memorial Institute (GPSMI) was opened in 1952.

The firm determination of Gen. Paulino Santos coupled with his strict imposition of discipline among the settlers accredited to the fast pace of development in the settlement area.  In 1941, when the Second Global War broke out, the ascending pace of development was hampered.  In spite of the presence of the Japanese Imperial Army in the area, no major battle was recorded.

The predicament brought about by the War did not necessarily impede the pursuance of the development of the Settlement districts.  Years after the Liberation of the Philippine by the American Forces led by Gen. Douglas MacArthur, settlers returned to the Settlement areas and resumed the development of the area.

Upon return to normalcy, the National Land Settlement Administration (NLSA) continued its usual function although its name was changed to Land Settlement and Development Corporation (LASEDECO), then to the National Resettlement Rehabilitation Administration (NARRA) and later to the Board of Liquidators.

The Settlement Administration intensified its drive for the development of all settlement districts.  Koronadal district, which manifested a leading pace in development, lead to its creation as a municipality by virtue of Executive Order No. 82 dated August 12, 1947.  Tupi which used to be a barangay of the Municipality of Koronadal likewise gained momentum thus six year after the creation of Koronadal, Tupi become an independent municipality by virtue of Executive Order No. 612 by the late President Elpidio Quirino dated September 11, 1953.  On October 2 of the same year, the first set of appointed Municipal officials were sworn into office.  Henceforth, the latter date had been commemorated as the foundation day of the municipality.  The municipality then started to function as a fifth class municipality.

Efforts were exerted by the first and succeeding municipal officials to effect the growth and development of the municipality.  Through the combined efforts of the past stewards of this municipality and with the additional sources of income paralleled by program and projects in social, cultural, educational and economic aspects Tupi was reclassified as a second class municipality on July 1, 1982.  To date, however with the revision of local government unit income classification, the Municipality was classified as a Fourth Class Municipality.

Tupi, since its creation experienced a generally peaceful situation except for some minor clashes brought about by ethnic differences in the late fifties and early sixties.  Only one major disturbance was experienced by the municipality in late1974 which involves the armed Moslem separatists and the Armed Forces of the Philippines.  However, the situation did not significantly affect the developmental thrusts of the LGU.  In the same decade, the Communist-inspired groups manifested their existence in the municipality but the same did not prosper, a position which signify that the general populace of the municipality are contented and peace-loving people, a situation which is a deterrent to the insurgency movements.

The Municipality of Tupi used to include : Tampakan in the northeast, Barangay Palkan of Polomolok in the South, a part of Marbel 8 of Koronadal in the north and Barangay Lambangan of T’boli in the Southwest.  However, with the creation of the Municipality of Tampakan in June 21, 1969 under R.A. 5661, and the definition of political boundaries among adjacent municipalities aforesaid areas were separated from Tupi.

According to a famous legend which transferred from generation to generation, Tupi got its name from a beetle leaf which the natives used to chew.  They call the leaf “tufi”.  Said leaf can be found near cool springs which abounds in the area.  According to the legend, a stranger happened to pass by the spring where the natives happened to be chewing “tufi”.  The stranger asked the natives what the name of the place and the latter thinking they were being asked what they were chewing answered “tufi”.  The stranger fulfilled about the answer left and became the forerunner of spreading the name of the place “tufi”, which later on, with unknown reason became TUPI.   According to the first batch of settlers of the late 1930s, “before we came as settlers, Tupi already existed.