HISTORY OF BARANGAY SIMBO
Located in the Southeast of the village is a little brook which provides water to the inhabitants. They called the place "Sembo", which was later changed to SIMBO. Prior to the arrival of the settlers, the place, filled with forest trees, was a sanctuary to wild pigs, chickens, deers, and variety of birds. Traversing the barangay was Silway River with its crystal-clear water.
Migrants from the Visayas particularly the Provinces of Aklan and Iloilo, arrived and settled in the place.Selling their lands to these settlers, the B'laans advanced to the mountains and engaged in kaingin to clear the area. During this time, Simbo was just a Sitio of Brgy. Polonuling.
In 1967, Simbo was separated from Barangay Polonuling. Jose Orbita was then elected as Barangay Captain. However, with his death, Rufino Somito, Sr. took his place until the next barangay election. He ably served the barangay for ten years until his sudden death due to heart attack in October 30,1983.
In 1983, Gavino P. Nalda, Sr. was elected barangay captain. He initiated the annual celebration of the barangays Foundation Anniversary every September 26, also his natal day. He was succeeded by Brgy. Captain Eufracio P. Emanel. In 2010, Eliberto L. Prudente was elected barangay captain.
Barangay Simbo is Bounded on the North by Barangay Polonuling, on the South by Talcon, Sumbakil on the East and on the West by Lambangan. It has a total land area of 2,300 hectares and is 14 kilometers away from the Municipal hall of Tupi. Presently, barangay Simbo has total population of 1,632.
Its pursuit for progress and development slowly steered by its leaders supported by its people, Simbo is hoping to fulfill a vision of a community strong enough to stand on its own.
HISTORY OF BARANGAY POBLACION
Tupi used to be one of the barangays of the Municipality of Koronadal by virtue of Executive Order No. 612 dated August 12,1947. Six years after, by virtue of Executive Order No. 612 dated September 11,1953 signed by the late President Elpidio Quirino, Tupi became an independent Municipality. Barangay Tupi was renamed in Barangay Poblacion and set as the center of the local governance.
The first Tenyente del Barrio was Sozimo Mercado in (1953-1960), followed by Lucilo Gadian in (1960-1965). In 1964, Emilio Arenas,Jr. was elected as the first Barrio Captain and was succeeded by different able leaders to the present barangay administration. In 2010, Joselito G. Yabot was elected barangay captain.
In 1989, the late Barangay Captain Fregdriano S. Balabag approved a resolution declaring July 4 as Barangay Day in relation to the celebration of Fil-American Friendship Day. However, in 1992, the said resolution was amended to every second week of December in celebration for Christmas by the former Barangay Captain Manuel Sunga, Sr.
In 1994, due to the insignificance of dates to the Poblacion barangay day, Barangay Captain Servillano P. Arreglado requested the barangay staff to conduct a research on the exact date of celebration. Basing on the legal ctreation of Tupi as Municipality, September 11 of every year was declared as Poblacion Day.
Barangay Poblacion has a total land area of 1,043.63 hectares composed of 23 Puroks. Based on National Statistics Office year 2000 data, Poblacion has a population of 11,590, The highest in all barangays.
Being the heart of the Municipality, Poblacion boasts its highest accomplishments among are;
1. Lupon Tagapamayapa, Regional Entry (1990) Capt. Fregdriano S. Balabag.
2. Lupon Tagapamayapa, Provincial Entry (1996) Capt. Servillano P. Arreglado.
3. BEEHIVE 4-H Club GAWAD SAKA 2002:
Outstanding Young Farmers Organization of the Philippines
4. MISS 4-H PHILIPPINES
1992 - Janet Surriga, 1st Princess Phil. (Nueva Ecija)
1994 - Melanie Zabala, 2nd Princess Phil. (Bicol)
2002 - Dinah Vanessa Mercado Ms. Golden 4-H of the Phils. (Tagaytay)
MISS 4-H REGIONAL
Queenly Love Mendoza
5. 1999 - Top Performing Barangay,
Vit. A Category
6. 1999 - Top Performing Barangay NTP-DOTS
7. NATIONAL/Provincial/Local FIGURE:
A. Hon. Joselito G. Yabut-Executive Vice President
Volunteer Leader of the Phils.
B. Hon. Rodner F. Torre - Vice President 4-H Club South Cotabato
C. Hon. Rizaldy A. Laxamana, Sr. (1999-2000), 1st Assn. Barangay Kagawad President.
From Barangay Tupi, Barangay Poblacion is now a venue of the municipality's urban community, a host to business and development aiming for a more progressive and stable
HISTORY OF BARANGAY MIASONG
Famous for its export-quality potatoes, carrots and other high valued crops, Miasong is located at 38 kms. away from the heart of Tupi. The farthest barangay of the municipality, its boundaries strategically cover four municipalities. North - Tampakan; South - Polomolok; West - Linan, Tupi; East - Malungon, Sarangani Province.
In its early years, the place was called "Datal Bulan", a B'laan word for "Mountain of Alingatong" that pertains to a leafy tree with itching effect and sensation for whosoever that touches it. During that time, the place was covered with trees, with an abundance of wild animals and birds. These natural resources lured loggers in the area.
In 1960, Allado Logging Corporation pioneered the logging concession in the area. However, the frequent ambush of the logging truck drivers and operators by bandits led by a B'laan warrior named Tolon, urged the management of ALC to seek assistance from the municipal government of Tupi. Mayor Emelio B. Escobillo,Sr. together with the groups of Policeman proceeded to the area. He summoned Tolon and with the management of ALC, they settled the problem.
The Mayor's peaceful intervention proved fruitful for the years to come. before leaving, he named the place "Miasong", derived from the name of the spring were they fetched water during their stay in the area.
From then on, people with different origins started to arrive and settle in the area. While some were hired by the logging company, many were interested to acquire home lots and farms to cultivate.
To lead the people, the honorable mayor appointed Mr. Felipe Figueroa as Tenyente del Barrio for the year 1964-1966. The area, surveyed by Engr. Pepito Catimbang, constituted 1,000 home lots with an approximate size of 20 X 30 sq.m. in the barangay proper and about 700 hectares of farm lots.
In 1965, the Municipal Council of Tupi passed a resolution to the senate to open Barangay Miasong as a settlement area. Among the first settlers were the families of Escobillo, Sunio and Inamarga.
In 1966, Leonilon B. Escobillo was elected Brgy. Captain, and exerted tremendous efforts to maintain peace and order ans even sustain the basic needs of those who chose to stay in the area.
In 1981 - 1986, Corazon J. Escobillo, legitimate spouse of Leonilon B. Escobillo, Sr., took the reins of leadership, followed by Uldarico Inamarga as OIC in 1986 - 1989. He was succeeded by Hon. Pablito V. Escobillo whose able leadership propelled the barangay into its present condition. In 2010, Leonilon B. Escobillo was elected barangay captain. Various infrastructure projects and other development interventions were materialized. The presence of multinational companies like Dole Phils., Global Fruits Corp., Lapanday Diversified Products Corp., and Liwayway Mktg. Corp., boost the barangays quest for economic development and progress.
Today, Barangay Miasong, with its high altitude and cool climate, continues to make a distinct place in the history of the entire Municipality.
SGD. EUGENIO S. SANICO, JR
SGD. PABLITO V. ESCOBILLO
HISTORY OF BARANGAY PALIAN
Human civilization of this barangay started at the market of this place. Muslims were the first inhabitants. Among the Muslim groups, Maguindanaoan predominated the village.
The village was then called "P'AREAN", a Muslim word which means market. Upon the arrival of the Christian settlers, the name "P'AREAN" was changed to PALIAN.
In 1939, the first settlers from Luzon led by the late Gen. Paulino Santos came. Four families settled in the village. The settlers were the families of Pablo Espiritu, Pedro Espiritu, Raymundo Espiritu and Benigno Evangelista.
During World War II in 1941, the four families moved into a forest not far from the village to hide themselves from the Japanese. After the liberation in the later dates of 1946, the settlers came back to their homes and work hard for a better living. Later, more families arrived and joined them in the village.
From the families of the first settlers, the village will created into a barrio and Pablo Espiritu, a Pioneering settler, was appointed as Tenyente Del Barrio. It was created as Barangay of Koronadal on August 21, 1941, one of the oldest barangay in the province of South Cotabato. When Tupi became a Municipality on September 11,1953, barangay Palian became one of its barangays. In 2010, Alexander P. Basilio was elected barangay captain.
The influx of migrants from the different regions resulted into a colorful mixture culture and dialects. These differences however, did not deter them from their united aspirations for the development of their dear barangay.
In 1972, Palian was chosen as the model barangay throughout the country. It was then under the able hands of Brgy. Capt. Efren Sarto. The cash price of Ten Thousand Pesos was wisely used for the construction of a nutrition building, fish pond, barangay roads, and repair of school buiding.
Two years later, in 1974, a certificate of commendation as outstanding BRIC Commander was received by Brgy. Capt. Efren Sarto. In September,1981, electricity was made available to the residents of the barangay. Several households took the pleasure of indulging themselves with comforts of modern appliances but most importantly, people can walk at night without fear with the streets well lighted.
Several infrastructure projects and other programs aimed to improve the lives of the residents were implemented with the following years. These programs were made possible through the efforts of several organizations.
Palian's potentials discovered years ago by a few courageous men, are yet to fully utilized. Today Barangay Palian continues to tread the road to progress and development. Inspired by a strong leadership and responsive constituents, the barangay is well ahead and ready to face the challenge of time.
HISTORY OF BARANGAY LUNEN
In the 1960's, Lunen, a B'laan word which mean "river of water" was still a jungle inhabited by wild pigs, monkeys, kalaws and other different species of birds and animals. A legendary story reveals the Lunen was derived from the name of the daughter of the B'laan Datu who died by drowning in the river. One can hardly visualize the geographical character of the of the mountains surrounding the village because of the heavy density of the forest Lawaan, guijo bamboo and bolo (perfectly looks like a bamboo but of smaller quality) were so abundant then that they dominated other species of trees in the same forest.
The inhabitants of the village, led by Datu Laco Buca, were mostly B'laans and T'bolis. There were also Muslims and a few Christians who live in the area. However, differences in culture and spiritual beliefs did not serve as a stumbling block in their struggle to build a peaceful and progressive community for themselves. In fact, they succeeded to nurture and develop a harmonious relationship among themselves along the way.
The main crop in the village was rice or `palay'. According to Basiwal Cob, of Sitio Pangi, the people have to walk for one day and one night in order to rich Lutayan where they procure their basic daily necessities. There means of transportation was the `kariton', a carabao-driven cart a wooden wheel, and the ever-dependable horses. Water was never a problem with the inhabitants for they were blessed with crystal-clear spring water. A river dramatically snakes through the village. This provided the inhabitants an unlimited supply of water for washing their laundries. And for other household purposes.
The first school in Barangay Lunen was built in 1963 through the initiative of Carami Laco, a former leader of the Village. It is now known as Lunen Elementary School, It was also during that time that the people started to build roads, using manually operated tools such as "sarol" or hoe and other semi-primitive intruments. This road-building initiative paved the way for the constant contract between the villagers and the people in the lowland areas, who are dominantly Christians.
Trading activities between the village people and lowlanders also increased. Foremost was a business involving the sale of raw bamboo and bolo products to Christians traders. This business transaction was the result of a negotiation between a village chieftain or Datu and traders from low-lying areas. Yet despite of this, they still maintained the practice of "kaingin" or cutting of trees owing to their nomadic way of life.
I the late 60's missionaries started to pour in and established their places of worship on various strategic areas within the village. While the native villagers later embraced their religious doctrines, they stubbornly managed to preserve some of their beliefs and traditions, and their very interesting folklores.
One such popular belief is: "When a B'laan hears the sound of an alimokon, a medium sized bird belonging to the eagle family, he or she has to delay or postpone his or her trip for such a sound serves as a signal or a warning of an impending danger". Another is a sick-healing ritual performed in this manner. "The healing priest or priestess builds a small hut with four posts. He or she surrounds the hut with burning coals. Then, he or she places four native-grown chickens inside the same hut. The priest or priestess jumps from the top of the hut into the burning coals with his or her bare feet. The priest or priestess is expected to continue with his or her jumping ordeal until the fire dies down". They believe that, at the very moment the coal stops burning, the sick person who is object of the healing ritual starts to recover.
The authorities, wanting to, acquire government jurisdiction over the village, appointed Severino Lorenzo, Sr. as Tenyente del Barrio, whose main function then was to serve as an emissary between the government and the people of the village. On August 27,1964, Barangay Lunen was created with Carami Laco as the first elected Barangay Captain. And in 2010, Nestor G. Tamblik was elected barangay captain.
Consequently, its conversion into a barangay signaled the ushering in of various development programs and projects into the village. But the growth of the positive development that spiraled in the newly created barangay was meant to be short-lived. A long dry spell visited the village in 1972 resulting to the scarcity of foods. The Villagers were rendered unable to provide their families the basic necessities of life. It was, later, compounded by the conflict between the government forces aned the Bansang Moro Army or BAMA in 1974. The villagers had to contend themselves with "kamoting kahoy" or cassava and other wild varieties of root crops for sustenance.
In 1987, a health center was constructed and immediately made operational. In 1991, the much-awaited electrification of the barangay was realized. Slowly, development projects like renovation of basketball court, construction of barangay hall and other infrastructure projects were materialized. The bombing of Camp Javalsur, a haven moro rebels near the village, and the numerous landslides which struck the barangay these past years did not, at all, weaken the people's resolve to continue their quest for progress and development.
The barangay today is a far from the dense forest that it was four decades ago. A number of concrete houses now adorn the barangay. The number of this type of houses is increasing as the years go by. Most remarkable of all these changes is the positive attitude of the people towards education. Fiercely proud of their ancestry, the B'laans strive every moment of day to cope with the demands of time by trying their best to send their children to school. Gone were the days when woman and children were just confined to their farms and houses.
It is very important to note here that most of the residents of the village, regardless of generations, still continue to cling to their native tongue.They speak their native B'laan dialect with pride and honor, to the chagrin of strangers. But whatever confusion and uneasiness that language barrier may sometimes bring, the warmth and hospitality of its populace easily wipe such awesome feelings feelings out. Wide-eyed children, pure in their innocence,greet visitors with smiles on their faces.
For a newcomer, visiting Barangay Lunen is a worthwhile experience. This seemingly isolated barangay has a few revelations of its own. Twin Lover Falls, its existence still unknown to many, with its cool and sparkling waters, slowly lures students and trekkers despite the undeveloped and rocky path leading to it. The surrounding mountains create an atmosphere of of soothing silence that only nature can provide. High mountains heavily surround the barangay proper, shielding the residents practically and figuratively, from the hustles and bustles of urban living.
Various tribes with over ten different beliefs inhabit Barangay Lunen. What bring this people together in this mountain village of the Municipality of Tupi despite their diverse socio-cultural backgrounds,can be an interesting subjects of research among sociologists and peace advocates. In fact politicians and academicians alike are now beginning to site during their lectures or discourses, the favorable socio-cultural condition in Barangay Lunen whenever it is necessary for them to prove a point convincingly or to put up contention strongly.
For many years, the barangay has been visited by natural calamities, problem that is widely considered to be the hardest to overcome. But the people continue hold on their toes steadfastly. Their is a saga of people who nurture a hope for the future and a story of a dream that refuses to die.
Armed with a common vision and with support of its municipal officials, Barangay Lunen, through the inspired leadership of the Barangay Council, continues to carve its own place in history. It will soon emerge as one of the best barangays not only in the Municipality of Tupi but also in the whole province of South Cotabato.
HISTORY OF BARANGAY LINAN
A place full of nature's wonders such as hot spring, waterfalls and cliffs of flowering plants with a total land area of 3,200 hectares bounded on the East by Barangay Miaisong, on the West by Barangay Cebuano, on the North by Landayao, Cebuano and on the South by Barangay Acmonan, is BARANGAY LINAN.
Linan was derived from the B'laan word "Ba'liana", a river flowing into the heart of Barangay from the majestic Mt. Matutum. The Abundance of water within the barangay is of great blessing for their livelihood of farmer-residents.
In 1930's, Linan is abundant with trees and a sanctuary to wild animals. The B'laans, who were the first inhabitants of the place rely on their nomadic way of living and practice kaingin. They open moved from one place to another, seeking fertile place for their crops. With the coming of settlers, same of the early inhabitants move farther into the mountains while the other chose to remain and lived harmoniously with the Christians.
Linan was then a part of Barangay Cebuano until it was declared as one of the barangays in Tupi on August 15,1968 by virtue of Municipal Resolution No. 48. The first elected Barangay Captain was Mr. Ponciano Odal,Sr. (1968-1971). He was succeeded by Ildefonso S. Ortiz in 1972, who is until now, devoted serving the barangay. In 2010, Reynaldo C. Alburo, Sr. was elected barangay captain.
Today, Linan has a total population of 3,206. The main source is farming and the major crops produced are banana, coffee, corn, rice and copra. Various infrastructure are now being materialized under the leadership of the present barangay officials.
With the spirit of Bayanihan, Barangay Linan is slowly moving ahead towards the fulfillment of its vision.
HISTORY OF BARANGAY KALKAM
Lying on the southern of the Municipality of Tupi with a distance of 3.5 kilometers away from the Poblacion, is the hilly barangay of Kalkam. It is bounded on the East by Brgy. Bunao, on the North by Brgy. Crossing Rubber, on the South by the Municipality of Banga, and on the West by Brgy. Lunen. Its generally sandy loam soil is suitable for agricultural crops such as: corn, palay, bananas and fruit trees.
The name of the barangay originated from the B'laan tree "Kalkam" which grew in Lake Sebu. According to an old tale, when the majestic tree fell down, a branch of the tree reached the place. Nearby, a spring emerged which they aptly Kalkam spring. The place became a haven for many wild animals due to the dense trees. The B'laans who were the early inhabitants of the place, resort to kaingin, often transferring from one place to another. The absence of working animals was not an impediment for they used pointed woods to dig holes for planting various crops. Among the early inhabitants of the place were the families of the three brothers namely, Calayo, Buca, Laco Buca, and Bod Buca. Their houses though, were distantly situated from its other.
In 1954, Mathias Parangan was appointed as the first Tenyente del Barrio. In the same year, Bod Buca married an Ilocana, Florida Parangan. Their marriage was blessed with seven (7) children. Bod Buca was appointed Tinyente del Barrio in 1960. He was succeeded by Jose "Joe" Balao. Following him was Eddie Baro who serve the barangay until 1970.
In 1971, Mr. Herminigildo Gagnao, a native of Iloilo, took the helm as Barangay Chairman. He was succeeded by Alfonso Calayo who emerged as the 1st elected barangay captain during the barangay election in 1982. Emilio Gagnao took over as OIC Brgy. Captain in 1987-94 when Calayo decided to run for councilor during the Miunicipal election.
For the succeeding years, several infrastructure projects were materialized; construction of a semi-concrete day Care Center, Brgy. Health Center, Brgy. Hall, and improvement of the barangay plaza. The barangay was then under Vicente Masalon who was elected as Brgy. Captain in (1994-97).
The re-election of Alfonso Calayo in 1997 brought additional improvements to the barangay such as: fencing of barangay plaza, installation of electricity and water system. He served the barangay with fervor for another five (5) years. He was succeeded by his first cousin, Junie P. Buca, son of Datu Bod Buca during the July 15 barangay election in 2002. And in 2010 barangay election, Junie P. Buca was reelected barangay captain.
Through the years, the barangay has slowly transformed itself. Today, it has a total population of 1,558 comprising 258 households. With its share of ups and downs, Barangay Kalkam never failed to rise up. Together with their leaders, the constituents envision progress and development for their beloved barangay.
HISTORY OF BARANGAY KABLON
Having the majestic of Mt. Matutum as its backdrop, Brgy. Kablon is well-known for its cool climate, fresh vegetables and luscious fruits. It is located between two brooks namely Kablen and Masbang, where its cold and fresh potable water supply comes from. Not so long ago, some government officials arrived looking for Datu Magsila. They passed by a brook and asked for its name from an old woman who fetched water from it. She answered, KABLON. When they later confirmed it from the Datu, he told them the name of the brook was "Kablen". From then on, the place was known as KABLON.
Kablon was proclaimed barangay in 1954 under the leadership of Cariaga Sambog, Sr., the appointed BO. Lieutenant. He was followed by Francisco Garcia. The first elected Barrio Captain was Datu Cariaga Sambog, Sr. Sitio Acmonan was seperated from Kablon and created as a barrio through a resolution sponsored by Eustaquio Pamplona, who was then Barangay Captain. He was succeeded by Datu Cariaga Sambog, Jr. who later died. By virtue of succession, Hannibal C. Guerrero Become barangay captain. He was succeeded by Avelino G. Recinto. In 2010, Pony G. Dawang was elected barangay captain.
With a total land area of 4700 hectares, Barangay Kablon is among the largest barangays in the Municipality of Tupi. On its Northern boundary lies Brgy. Acmonan, while on its Southern frontier lays Brgy. Palkan of Polomolok. On its Eastern side lies Brgy. Miasong while Brgy. Polonuling on its Western boundary. It has five(5) sitios namely; Lemblisong, Latil, Tukaykalon,Glandang and Taluban.
Under a dynamic leadership, Barangay Kablon continues to climb the ladder of development. A recipient of various development interventions, the residents together with its leaders join hands in its journey towards a sustainable ans empowered community.
HISTORY OF BARANGAY BUNAO
Two kilometers away from Poblacion is Barangay Bunao. It has a total land area of 1,400 square kilometers. It is composed of 10 Puroks and Sitio Acfaon. The latter composed of Purok 1, Purok 2, Purok Tahimik and Purok Tinago. The Sitio Acfaon also known as PANAMIN area, is inhabited by the native B'laans and T'bolis.
The first or the Pioneer settlers of Barangay Bunao are the Lumaguinding Clan who acquired and possessed large tracks of land and the Kasan Clan, the descendant of the first appointed Barangay Captain and became the leader of the Muslim inhabitants.
Bunao is named after a tree which is similar to Lanzones. It was created as one of the Barangays of Tupi on December 15,1970. The first appointed Barangay Captain was Mr. Bahal Kasan and the second was Mr. Alexander Robleza. In 1976,Mr. Rojack Lumaginding was designated Officer-In-Charge. In 1989, Mr. Benito C. Cornejo, Jr. was seated as the elected Barangay Captain. In 2010, Celso James C. Pacetes II was elected barangay captain.
Sorrounded by mountains and hills, this barangay is also known for its several springs and rivers which made it suitable for lowland rice and fishing projects. Its sandy and loam land is suited for agricultural products like corn, palay, fruit trees, coconut trees, coffee and bananas.
Majority of the inhabitants of this barangay are Muslim with few Christians and B'laan families. Livelihood of the inhabitants are broom making, mat weaving, bamboo stick and bamboo kalakat making, selling of cogon grass for roofing, tobacco vending, kangkong vegetable culture and others.
HISTORY OF BARANGAY POLONULING
As early as 1900, B'laans already inhabited the place originally as "PONGOL-NOLING". The native term literally means "an island of trees" clustering in the middle of the swamp. The place was characterized as swampy with the upper portion full of cogon grass. Huge trees were scattered everywhere.
The native, under the leadership of Datu Bulao Mamantal, planted banana, cassava, palay, and corn. They acquire goods through a barter system since the use of currency was not yet known.
In 1929, few Muslim families coming from Tampakan, arrived and settled in the lower portion near the river and springs. Under the leadership of Datu Taugan Aminola, a Muslim village rose. Together, they tilled the lands under the able hands of their leader, who was then succeeded by his son, Datu Butucan Aminola.
Ten years later, families from Visayas and Luzon began arriving to settle in Mindanao. This was under the National Land Settlement Administration (NLSA) program of the government which was headed by Gen. Paulino Santos. On March 14,1940, the first batch of settlers from Iloilo and Cebu arrived at Lagao and proceeded immediately to Tupi bunkhouse for temporary shelter. Some of this twenty-three families were right away directed to Polonuling to build a new bunkhouses. These settlers include Hermogines Cawayan, Pedro Lemery, Vicente Lemery, Mauel Ramos, Dañozo, Celso Gatinao, and Fortunato Sereniña. Men of legal age were each given a portion of clearing according to lots drawn, eight (8) hectares for lots along the highway while twelve (12) hectares for the interior parts. For the following days, the place was filled with hectic activity of clearing of road networks, and the uprooting and cutting of huge trees.
On July 1940, another batch of settlers from Luzon arrived. They were distributed in all parts of Koronadal. Silvestre Sulit was then the Overseer of settlers Carlos Hicban was his assistant. During this time, roads were developed and houses were built.
On September 11,1940, Polonuling was declared Barrio by virtue of Executive Order No. 61. Hermogines Cawayan was appointed as the Tenyente del Barrio and served for five (5) years. In 2010, Roberto M. Lambino was elected barangay captain.
In 1946, Polonuling was organized into a small unit of government wherein barrio officials were appointed. The Overseer appointed Amado Paladin as the Teniente del Barrio. On the same year, the first building was also built. In 1963, the first barangay was held with Fortunato Sereñina as first Barrio Captain elected by the people. His service lasted for four (4) years (1963-67). Livelihood assistance such as KKK, SN was introduced by the government in the year 1977-81. Electricity was installed in the barangay during these years.
Barangay Polonuling flourished under the able leadership of its barangay leaders. Various infrastructure such as roads, school building, barangay hall, nutrition center, fencing, brgy. Plaza, multi-purpose building, cooperative, sports complex, waiting sheds, farm to market roads, and others were constructed all for the purpose of serving its constituency effectively.
Today, the barangay is among the top barangays of Tupi in terms of progress and development. Its humble beginnings of a few courageous settlers has now turned the barangay into a thriving community of 5,882 residents.
HISTORY OF BARANGAY TUBENG
Barangay Tubeng got its name from the word "Tubong" which mean spring, the place where the people seen a handsome man which disappeared after taking a bath and they believed that the man they saw was TOSEBENG, the lord of the B'laan tribe. In 1978, It became the sitio of Barangay Palian, Where Cesar Dug was appointed as first sitiio leader. Year after, the PANAMIN came and they helped the B'laan people to settle in one place. Mr. Sudaria, an Ilocano, donated six (6) hectares of his farm to be used as barangay site for the cultural minorities and later when the Ilocanos came they change the name Tubong to "Tubeng".
Barangay Tubeng created in September 14,1989, with a total land area of 575 hectares. Residential land 8 hectares; 371 for agricultural and 80 hectares for forestral land. It has a distance of 12 kilometers from the Municipality of Tupi and its boundaries in North by Progressive Farm, on the South by Barangay Lunen, on the East by Barangay Palian and on the West by Barangay Lam-aps, Banga, South Cotabato. Its terrain types is plain (25%), hilly (30%) and mountainous (45%).
Settled by a mixture of 90% B'laans, 5% Muslims, 3% Ilocanos and 1% Ilonggos and Cebuanos. The majority of the constituents are protestants by religion. It consists of 4 main Puroks and 2 sitios as namely: Sitio Atbangan and Sitio Barnate.
Barangay Hall, Barangay Health Station and Water System were built under the administration of Barangay Captian Samuel Damucom, the first Barangay Captain and served the barangay for eight (8) years. In 1997, Armando Palate was elected as Barangay Captain. And in 2010, Bhoy C. Suana was elected barangay captain.
In 1999, Tubeng has a total population of 1,590. Its main products and plants cultivated are corn, palay, banana and coconut. Other income generating projects are hogs raising, cattles and backyard gardening. It has a potential tourist spots and attraction located at Sitio Atbangan and they called it at OPING Falls.
HISTORY OF BARANGAY CROSSING RUBBER
Barangay Crossing Rubber is located 5.5 kms. away from the Poblacion. It is just a 5-minute ride away from the heart of Tupi. Fortunately situated along the highway, it is easily accessible to all types of vehicle.
It is bounded on the North by Barangay Bololmala; and on the East by Barangay Cebuano. On its Southern boundary lies Barangay Kalkam; and Barangay Lunen at its Western frontiers.
lt consists of five (5) puroks and two (2) sitios namely: Pk. 1, Pk. 2, Pk. 3, Pk. 4, Pk. 5, Sitio Tucalabong and Sitio Pag-asa.
In 1953-57, Crossing Rubber was under the stewardship of Barrio Captain Quirico Bandojo. Under the able hands of Hermogenes Calixijan who was the Tenyente del Baryo in 1957-64, the creation of Crossing Rubber was made possible on January 26,1960. He was succeeded by Alfonso Lumawig as Barrio Kapitan in 1964-1972. The next in line was Koronado Advincula who ably lead the barangay for three (3) years (1972-75). However, one fo the longest serving Barangay Kapitan was Valentin Z. Marave who serve the barangay for eleven (11) years (1975-86). He was followed by Benjamin Segui, Sr. in (1986-89). In 1989, the barangay flourished and improved greatly during the leadership of Barangay Captain Hipolito P. Oliva. In 2010, Randy A. Claudio was elected barangay captain.
Crossing Rubber has a total land area of 825 has. wherein 91% or 753 has. are devoted to agricultural use. Major crops include corn, papaya, guava and asparagus. Residents send their children to the nearby public school for their elementary education. For free schoolers, there are two (2) Day Care Centers under the DSWD and one private pre-school managed by the Alliance.
Today, Crossing Rubber has a total population of 3,162 representing 624 households. One half of its residents came from the legendary island of Aklan. The Ilonggos constitute 15% while another 15% hailed from the Ilocos region. Other groups include Tagalogs, Cebuanos and a few B'laans. Religious groupings include, Catholic, Alliance, Iglesia ni Kristo and Harvest Time Apostolic.
Like any other barangay, Crossing Rubber has also its share of calamities and problems, yet the people remain steadfast in their effort to attain peace, progress and development. True to its name, the flexibility and resillience of the plentiful rubber trees which gave birth to the barangay's name not so long ago, is reflected in the way the residents cope with what time has to offer them.
HISTORY OF BARANGAY CEBUANO
In the year of 1939, the settlers from Luzon and Visayas, in the vast land of Koronadal Valley, established their residence on a flat high land which is fitted for agriculture.Two families from the island of Cebu pioneered in the place in which they officially called today as "Barangay Cebuano". Considered as among the most progressive barangays of the municipality, Barangay Cebuano is located 7.5 kilometers away from the Poblacion. Its vast area of 3,500 hectares accommodate 4,362 people. A Tampakan road cuts across the barangay making it accessible to all kinds of vehicle.
The Barangay is bounded on the north by Barangay Kipalbig,on the east by Barangay Linan. On its southern bounderies by Barangay Acmonan and Barangay Bololmala at its western frontiers.
Barangay Cebuano got its name fron the common statement of General Paulino Santos who was in-charge at the time of the National Land Settlement in the vast Koronadal Valley, he had a great task in the land settlement. So, Whenever there are settlers, General Paulino Santos settled them at the place where the two (2) Cebuano families were settled, His statement to the settlers always went like this, "Doon ang inyong mga lote sa Cebuano (Your lots are located at the Cebuano's). So, from the time on the place was called "Cebuano".
HISTORY OF BARANGAY BOLOLMALA
The Barangay's name was coined from the B'laan words "bolol" and "mala" which mean "small hill" and "pungent pepper". Though still part of Brgy. Palian during that time, the place was easily remembered because of the hill full of pungent pepper.
Mr. Arsenio Sarceda Aradanas, who migrated from Binalonan, Pangasinan, still vividly remembers his first sight of the place. Dense with trees like lawaan and rubber, it was unabashedly inhabited by wild pigs, monkeys, and kalaw, the latter ably serving as a timekeeper for barangay folks who want to start their day at 4:00 in the morning. The place was then inhabited mostly by Muslims and B'laans, with the latter hanging their dead on trees for birds to eat. With the influx of settlers, many minorities though particularly the B'laans transfered and settled in the outskirts of the barangay. Despite the differences in culture, camaradarie and hospitability prevailed among the people.
These settlers who were predominantly Aklanon started to cultivate the land and planted upland palay and corn. Others borrowed working animals from friendly neighbors and relatives to sustain their farming activities. During the time, farmers do not use fertilizers since the land was so fertile. Only 10 - 15 bamboo houses which were distantly located from each other adorned the barangay proper. For them, fetching water and marketing mean going to poblacion Tupi which is 7 kilometers away either by riding a kariton/karosa or by simply walking. parents send their children to Palian, Cebuano or Kipalbig for their primary education.
Brgy. Bololmala was created in 1957 through a resolution. Its first Tenyente del Barrio was Francisco Alaba who served for two (2) years. He was succeeded Edilberto Sales (1959 - 1962). In 2010, Erlinda A. Simpao was elected barangay captain.
In the 1960's, crops were devastated by locusts and rats. Fortunately, the Bureau of Plant and Industry (BPI) which is located in the barangay, managed the infestation with chemicals and poison. In 1966, a light plane of the Philippines Air Force (PAF) first landed in the barangay to help combat the locusts. In order to commemorate their landing, the barangay celebrates their fiesta every 26th of September. This was later changed to November 28 -29 as their patronal fiesta venerating the Nuestra Señora del Salvacion.
Bololmala today is a far cry from the community of just a few fifty years ago. It is bounded on the north by Brgy. Palian, on the south by Brgy. Cebuano, on the west by Brgy. Cr. Rubber and on the east by Brgy. Kipalbig of the Municipality of Tampakan. Its total land area of 1050 has., accommodate a total population of 2,546 comprising 522 households. It consists of seven (7) puroks and four (4) sitios namely: Sitio KB, Dala, Maunlad, and San Roque, Purok 1, Pk. 2, Pk. 3, Pk. 4, Pk. 5, Pk. 6, and Pk. Riverside.
Known today as the fruit basket of Tupi, the barangay boasts of its abundant production of fruits particularly durian, rambutan, and lansones. Grafted seedlings of these fruits are also available in the barangay.
A declared Agrarian Reform Community (ARC), both the residents and barangay leaders endeavor to work hand in hand to discover and utilize fully the potentials of the barangay.
HISTORY OF BARANGAY ACMONAN
Acmonan was derived from the name of a river, where a woman accidentally left her "inunlan" while crossing it. In 1963, it was still a sitio of Barangay Kablon until its independence and creation as a seperate barangay in February 9,1966.
Datu Lando Piang, still a child in the 1950's, vividly recalls his earliest memories of the place. Teeming with trees and wild animals like lawaan, uway, monkeys, wild pigs or talonon, usa, kalaw, the first inhabitants of the place were blessed with an abundance of food. With tools and weapons like "bangkaw, kris, pana", they hunt for wild animals and birds aside from a variety of plants and trees which are also good sources of food.
Practicing kaingin, they also plant rice, corn gabi and tubo. They usually cook and eat manually pounded corn with gabi leaves. "Ubod sa uway and ubod sa anahaw" are among their favorites. On horses or simply walking, they go to the poblacion bringing their crops like mais malagkit, gabi pilit, rice and tubo in exchange for fish and sardines.
The arrival of the Christian settlers among them the families of Valentin Marcos, Solis, Hipaya, Aguinaldo and Facundo Espiritu slowly changed some of their customs particularly the hanging of the dead on trees. These settlers acquired lands from the natives in exchange of sardines, clothing, and other goods considered as novelty to them. The natives under the leadership of their tribal chieftain, Datu Tamba Piang, lived harmoniously with Christians. Yet through the years of mingling with the settlers, one particular custom of the B'laans was left unchanged. Until now, the giving of "sunggod" for marriage is still being practiced especially by those living in the remote parts of the barangay.
Today, Barangay Acmonan is famous for its crystal clear falls. It has a total population of 2,873 comprising 639 households. Only five (5) kilometers away from the Poblacion, Acmonan is accessible to all types of vehicles. It consists of 7 puroks and 11 sitios. Its residents rely on passenger jeeps/ford fiera and skylab for transportation. Its major crops include corn, pineapple, coconut,rice. The barangay celebrates its foundation anniversary every February 9 & 10 and honors the Sto. Niño as its patron saint every January 14 & 15 during their Patronal Fiesta.
The presence of Dole Phil., Upland Development Program, and other agencies aid the barangay in many ways. Its barangay Captain Cawade Piang,Jr., descendant of the first tribal chieftain, slowly leads Acmonan towards the attainment of a sustainable and empowered community. At present, Regalado S. Guillermo is the barangay captain, elected last 2010 barangay election.